Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Crackers

A new calling: I just got called in to be the assistant cooking specialist in our ward. It is a class taught a couple times a month, mainly on how to use food storage. I am excited to learn more about this. I would love any ideas!!! This week we are doing crackers and dips. I had never thought of making crackers.... so here we go.

Vegetable-Flecked Crackers

1/3 C shredded carrot (or dehydrated ones from Bishop's Storehouse) Crush finely or blenderize.
2 T minced onions (or dehydrated) Crush finely or blenderize.
1 T minced sundried tomatoes (not oil-packed), optional
2 t dried basil
2/3 C whole wheat flour
2/3 C white flour (or whole wheat again)
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
1 t baking powder (2 teasp. if using all whole wheat flour)
3/4 t salt
1/2 C water ( a little more if dough is stiff)
2 T olive oil

Only do this next step if you aren't using dehydrated carrots.
Preheat the oven to 250F. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
Spread the carrot over the paper; top with the onion. Bake for
about 30 minutes to dry out the vegetables. Cool on the baking
sheet on a wire rack. Increase the oven temperature to 350F.

In a large bowl, combine the dried carrots and onion with the
tomatoes and basil. Add the flours, the cheese, baking powder, and salt; mix well with a fork.
Make a well in the center. Add the water and oil. Mix with a spoon until the dough begins to gather. (If the dough is slightly dry add another tablespoon of water). Knead with hands into a ball.

Roll the dough between the palms of hands into a thick rope about 1 1/2 in. in diameter.
Wrap in waxed or saran paper and chill for 30 minutes.

Cut dough into approximately 24 equal pieces. Working with one piece at a time (keep the remaining dough covered), shape into a ball. Place the ball of dough between two pieces of lightly-floured waxed paper or saran wrap and roll out to a 4-5 inch circle, 1/16" thick. Or roll a rectangle and cut diamond shapes, etc.

Place the crackers on a large ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough. The crackers can touch as they do not spread during baking. Prick with a fork. Optional:lightly spray or brush with oil and salt.

Bake for about 10 minutes at 350F, or until lightly golden but not brown. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

5 comments:

Kera said...

This calling would give me a lot of anxiety :) You'll do great at it! So far we have glided through without getting a calling or called to talk in our new ward. it feels like a bit of heaven to just sit in relief society.

Kera said...

I just noticed your blog header picture. You look GORGEOUS!!!!

casey.chelsea.cali said...

Sounds tasty! And what an interesting calling. Do they have that in every ward?

Jo and Jeff said...

Those crackers look delicious! Something I might tackle after the kids are in bed, someday! Sounds like the perfect calling for you Brit! I look forward to you posting more yummy recipes, yours are always the best! I found a blog full of recipes, I haven't tried too many, but they all look great! It is: mykitchenescapades.com
Love and miss ya!

Kylene said...

These look so good! I will have to try them. I wish we lived closer so you could come over and teach me all your fun recipes in person. :)