Sunday, January 9, 2011


God doesn’t care nearly as much about where you have been as He does about where you are and, with His help, where you are willing to go.

This is an important matter to consider at the start of a new year—and every day ought to be the start of a new year and a new life. Such is the wonder of faith, repentance, and the miracle of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Dave took a new position at work that will be a real Faith builder for me this year not having him around as much. He will be traveling 2 weeks out of the month. I know that we have been blessed so much with the children we have, and my first thoughts were: Why he is going to be gone so much now? Our kids are so young. I don't want to do this alone?

I think right there in that statement is where I need to learn and grow, and depend more on my Savior. There will always be trials, but they are for our good. I hope throughout this year I can learn what I need to learn, and look for the good things each day, learn to ask for help and not try to do everything on my own, learn to trust, learn what can give and what things are most important. Keep an optimistic outlook. Look out to those around us, and find ways to serve.

I would love any ideas anyone has on how to make the best of "The Traveling Husband" or any thoughts you might have.

5 comments:

Angie said...

I know I probably dont have the best advice since I have never been through this but my thoughts are:

Make sure to talk each day even if its only for 15 minutes.

Ask someone you trust to watch the kids for an hour or 2 so you can get out and have time for you to breath and regroup.

Try and plan your meals and housework ahead of time so it doesnt get to be overwhelming.

Remember to rely on Heavenly Father to help you. I know he will if you just ask him.

I wish I was closer to come and help you out or bring in a meal. Good luck I will be thinking of you:)

The Huffs said...

Brit you are the best mom... I have no worries. And knowing Dave, he will probably be doing everything to help you when he is home.
Something my sister and her husband do is they say family prayer on the speaker phone every night he is gone. You can also Skype which is a nice thing.
As for you... just plan some fun things with the kids and watch a good chick flick every once in a while:) My mom and sister watch "larkrise to candleford" everynight:) Love ya!

Kirsten said...

Having a traveling husband is hard. There's no way around it. Anyway...here are my thoughts:
-skype at night and read scriptures and pray together. It's so much easier for the kids to talk to dad when they can see him, instead

Kirsten said...

Pushed the wrong button....

Of just on the phone. Espically the little ones.

-get a sitter and go out and do something for you. Even if it's just grocery shopping. Time away from the kids gives you time to regroup and be a better mom.

-plan a fun activity to do with the kids, to get out of the house.

-don't be afraid to discuss your concerns with your hubby or ask for help when he's gone.

Good luck! It's hard, and Somedays no fun at all, but learn to make the most of your time together and your time apart.

Kylene said...

I think the #1 thing to remember is that the Lord is on your side. He is 100% aware of what the needs are of the Bether's family and would never even present new opportunities if He thought you couldn't manage. Dave's new position sounds like a very good thing. Rod is gone a lot and I know how it feels to put kids to bed by myself night after night after night. BUT I know that no matter how tired I am, if I take the time to read the scriptures with them and listen to them tell me about their day, the spirit enters our home. I often repeat to myself, "by small and simple things, great things are brought to pass. You are laying the foundation of a great work for your children." When your kids look back on their youth, they will remember a mom who tried hard to teach them the gospel and set a stellar example of what motherhood is all about. They will remember a dad who served his family and served the Lord. Remember, WE have good genes! Grandma Call set the tone and I often gain strength simply thinking of her. Add variety to your day but keep the things that NEED to be consistent, consistent (prayer, scriptures, homework, etc) Rod is good about writing little notes to the girls and they love that. Plus, with technology the way that it is, we can see him even if he is half way around the world. Take time for you. Even if it's just a quick run on the treadmill or a chapter in a new book. Your cup needs to be filled before you can ever expect to fill others. You are great Brit. Those kids are blessed to have you. :)