"When you get to the end of your rope, Tie a knot and HOLD ON"--I saw this quote in the hall of George Washington Academy where my kids go to school. On Monday afternoons I get to take a little break from the everyday action....and believe me when I say ACTION, I mean every word. There is not a dull moment at our house. Everytime the phone rings or I go to call someone it seems like the siren is going off.
I just want to share a few paragraphs from a book I found on another one of my "TIme Outs" this week.
"It's OK to take a Nap" by Debra Sansing Woods. Hope you enjoy!
One of the best things about letting go of the need to be a mother who gets it all done is that I now have more time to focus on doing what matters most-just enjoying my children. they've never cared about whether I got it done, but they do care enormousley about the time I spend with them. I can recall a conversation I had with a friend a few years ago where we talked about the homes we grew up in. He grew up in a house that was always immaculate while I did not. I asked him if his mother had spent a great deal of her time cleaning house each day, and he responded. "That's what I remember most about my mom while I was growing up-her cleaning house." As we think about navigating our days and finding balance between doing and being, let's ask ourselves this question, "When my kids are grown up, what do I want them to remember abou me and their time in our home? When I think abou the answer to this question, I think more often of putting down my to-do list than picking it up.
This next part was written just for me...... For the sake of your family and yourself, stop yourself when you begin to run yourself ragged, feeling as if you must get it all done today or tomorrow, and ask yourself another question, "Who says I must live this way?" And then, take a deep breath and review what you think you should be doing. Determine based on your needs and the needs of your family, what you really must get done today, and what you can, with little worry, leave for another day.
I love this part.....You will discover firsthand this wonderful truth: there is indeed tremendous joy to be had in being a mother who doesn't do it all.
So today...on day 3 of Dave being out of town, I had reached the end of my rope and was exhausted......and took the advice of this book, "It is OK to take a Nap". So if you need a good nap, I am giving you the go ahead.....and while your at it. Enjoy it!!
Thursday, April 14, 2011
It's OK to take a Nap
Posted by Brit at 8:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Did you take one too? I want to hear about it.
Also want to say "Thankyou" to the wonderful examples I have and for all the encouragement to continue breastfeeding. We are going on 71/2 months. Owen thanks you as well. He loves his Mommy.
This is a beautiful post...full of so much wisdom. Just what I needed today. You are wonderful!
Thanks for the post. Sometimes I need to remind myself that its okay if the house doesn't look wonderful all of the time.
Ha Brit... Guess what. I have been thinking of you lately. I have plenty of friends that clean and clean and clean. I can stop by their house any time and their house is perfect! Sometimes I get a little discouraged and then I remember what one of my best friends and heros said... quote from Britney Baugh Bethers " I clean my house once a day right before Dave comes home." I have always kept this in my mind and if one of the best moms in the world (Brit) is doing that... then that is what I am going to do... :) Thanks Brit!
I have some amazing friends! Thank You!
You are such a great mama!!! The part that stuck out to me the most was... "What do you want your kids to remember most about you?" I will try to keep that in mind this week.
loved the post. thanks Britt. you are one amazing mom!
Post a Comment