There is just something about listening or talking to people that make you want to be and do better.
A few things I wrote down and want to remember from Stake Conference. Our Stake Pres. said, "YOu won't be disappointed." Get your families out and attend Conference.
I wasn't. I have always loved to go to the Special "Adult Session" the night before. Probably because I get to sit next to Dave and we make it a date. Also, its a chance to reflect on what is going on in my life. I'm sitting down, there aren't diapers to change, and kids crying....nothing needs to be done, but for me to sit and listen and prioritize. It's a good feeling.
The past 5-6 months have been some very challenging months. I try not to focus on it being Challenging, hard all the time, but it has been. Dave took a new position at work as the VP of Sales that has required him to be away from home, traveling, and a challenge to find a happy balance to say the least.
So where do you turn for Strength?
The Temple is a refuge from the storm. I have made it a goal to go 2x a month, once alone and once as a couple. Especially when things are really hard. Again, its a place away from the cares of the world and a place to reflect and enjoy a few moments of peace.
Notes from Stake Conference:
Exact Obedience
Fearing God more than you fear Man.
Service-this is huge and another big strength when times are hard. It doesn't take much to look around and realize that you really have it pretty good, and it makes you feel so good helping and noticing what others are going through.
One of my good friends taught me how to make minky blankets. I have tried to make a blanket for all the Mom's in our ward having babies, which has been really fun. Fun going to pick out fabric, stress reliever, social outlet going out of my comfort zone to meet new people, and knowing that my kids have loved, loved, loved their minky blankets.
Pick up your sling and go-facing our Goliaths with Faith
All of us have Goliaths that we are facing: selfishness, doubt, envy were a few mentioned.
Pray for Strength: Lord increase my Faith-knowing God and understanding the plan fortifies your character.
A family of 5 kids in our ward just lost their Dad in a hiking accident. They were in our marriage class for about 6 weeks and we were just getting to know them when it happened. With Dave being home the last couple weeks I have been able to get out walking/running in the mornings with the Mom, mainly listening to the challenges she is facing, and again giving me strength to face my challenges.
-Making the atonement part of daily life.
-We have to experience difficult things to grow and change.
-Lord knows who we are and who we are becoming. Trust him.
Falling and Getting back up-Celebrating small steps. He loves us in our weaknesses and want to see us overcome those weaknesses.
Doing hard things is Good.
Playing sports-keep playing even though you are hurting/down
Find the joy amidst the affliction
Not just endure challenges, Be CHANGED
Each day, ask for help to become closer, be faithful, allow Holy Ghost as a guidance.
So.....pick up your sling:)
HOpefully there is something that you needed and can help in whatever you're facing.:)
Sunday, May 15, 2011
Pick up your Sling
Posted by Brit at 4:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Brit- I just found your blog last week and had told Jo what an inspiration you are to me! Thanks for sharing your notes, I ALWAYS need reminders!! :)
-Jess
Thanks for sharing britt. you are very inspiring and i love you! I want to come down and stay with you guys soon. maybe in the next few weeks. let me know when is good for you. Also, we need to plan our Vegas trip!!
i always love your posts britt :)
HI Jess!
Anna and Kera-yes we do need to plan a girls trip.
There's a midnight 5k run next weekend if anyone wants to come to St.George. Any takers???
Post a Comment